Saturday, May 3, 2014

Two of the hardest things about writing and self publishing

For me, there are two really hard things about writing and publishing (OK, there's a lot more than two, but these two are affecting me right now).
The first is inspiration and ideas.  The problem isn't necessarily coming up with ideas, it's more about coming up with original ideas.  I try to avoid watching much TV or movies when I'm writing because I'll find themes or scenes from the things I've watched showing up in my stories.  It's even worse with books.  I try my best to avoid reading when I'm writing.  Otherwise I'll be working away on a super clever section and suddenly realize it came from something I read the week before.  The hardest part about it is that I love reading, I love watching shows and movies.
A good example of this is that I was traveling a lot in the past week so I watched the movie "Pacific Rim" a couple of times during my flights.  And since then I've been having lots of giant monster type ideas pop into my head!  Fortunately the things I'm writing right now do not include giant monsters, so it hasn't been a big issue, but the basic idea remains the same.

The other hard part about right, and probably for me the hardest part, is the editing.  Like a lot of people I find it hard to go back and read my story and be unbiased.  Of course it's brilliant and it all makes sense!  So I end up asking someone else to read it and at least help with some basic editing.  And that's terrifying.  My wife is very supportive and she is the one who will read through and edit for me.  Even though she is always going to support me, there is still the worry that she will come back and say that it's horrible.
I suppose that there is always the risk that people won't like what I write, but that's a risk I'm willing to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment